Installing the software
Creating the web site
- Double-click the downloaded file roxen-6.1.x-xxx-cms-win32_x86.msi to start
the installer program.
- Enter the installation directory. The default is
C:\Program Files\Roxen Internet Software\Roxen CMS\.
- Select either Typical Installation or Custom Installation.
The former will install the product as a Windows service which launches every
time you restart the computer. Select Custom if you want to control all
details of the installation. The following steps describe the questions asked
when selecting Custom.
- Select the Program Folder (i.e. in the Start menu) where Roxen CMS should be
- Create an Administration Interface. This is a web-based interface in
which Roxen CMS is configured. You need to select the web protocol
(https for encrypted communication or regular http) and the
port number as well as the administrator name and password.
- Decide whether you want to enable the Update Client in Roxen CMS.
- Wait for the software to be installed.
- Answer the question about installing a Windows service. This service will
start the Roxen CMS server every time you boot your computer. If you don't
want this you should answer No and start the server manually.
- When asked about launching Roxen CMS right now, select Yes.
Editing web pages
- Open your web browser and go to the Administration Interface at
https://localhost:999/ (replace https and 999 with
appropriate values). Authenticate using the name and password which you
- Click the Sites tab.
- Click the Create new site button.
- Enter a name for your site (only used in the Administration Interface) and click
Create new site with template.
- Set the license file to personal.lic and click the CMS site
- Configure the protocol and port number for the site you want to
create. Typical port values are 443 for https and 80
for plain http servers. Leave the fields in the section titled
Initial variables for CMS: Main Module unchanged. Click Next to
- Select the initial content for your site. We recommend Basic (CSS-based layout) since it
includes all the layout templates you need for easy site editing.
- Enter the name and password you want to use for the site administrator. Note that
this is not the same as the Administration Interface user (which you are currently
logged in as), although the latter can use a backdoor feature to access everything in
the site without knowing the name and password you enter here. It is possible to use
the same name and password for both administrators. Click Ok to proceed.
- Wait for the site to be created. This can take a few minutes so be patient.
- The site is now created! Click the URL presented in the Status tab to open
a new window for browsing the site. You will have to authenticate using the site
administrator name and password which you provided a few steps back.
Click the Enter edit mode link in the site navigation interface to display the
toolbar for the insite editor. To access the more advanced SiteBuilder Content Editor,
go to http://localhost:1234/edit/ (again, replace http and the port number
with the appropriate values for your installation).
To read all the on-line documentation shipped with the product, click the Docs
tab in the Administration Interface or in the SiteBuilder Content Editor (which also
provides a search engine for all of the documentation).